Julep – why it’s annoying….

15 Jul

Image

Ok, Julep is a cute little service that sends you a monthly beauty box.  Most of it is hand or nails centered.  I gave it a try but I don’t personally feel like it’s worth the $20 a month (anna likes it and is keeping it.)

But the SUPER annoying thing is that they make it impossible to cancel.  You have to call the between specific hours as they can not cancel your account online for “security reasons.”

The annoying part is I signed up for just one month and they started me on a complete subscription   I guess I should have read the fine print.  Aww well, my bad.

-kassi

***update***

I called the cancelation number.  After 6 mins on hold I was transferred to a voicemail that told me to leave my info and that they would take care of it when they were done helping other customers.  Just seems shady.  How come it’s a security risk if I cancel on a secure https site that took my credit card info but not a risk to leave a voicemail on some phone line?

*update 2*

account cancelled. Received an confirmation email an hour after I called.

DISCLAIMER-  I am not complaining about being charged for the subscription I accidentally (yes, i take ownership of this) signed up for when getting the free box but I am complaining about how it is complicated to cancel your account.

About these ads

25 Responses to “Julep – why it’s annoying….”

1. Tiffany July 16, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Like you said you should have read the fine print. Everything is not for everybody but dont bash them because you wanted something free didnt do your research and had to cancel. I love Julep and they have an awesome customer service team.

• yourfairygodmother July 16, 2013 at 10:39 am #

Oh I totally take fault for not reading the fine print. But I do think its super weird I can not cancel online but can leave a voicemail. I think they have nice products but I feel really trapped by their service right now.

• Tiffany July 16, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

The products are awesome! well thats just my opinion. Sorry it was a hassle for you to cancel your subscription. I think they just want feedback on why someone wants to cancel and it can help there customer service. P.S. I perused your blog and im a new fan

2. yourfairygodmother July 16, 2013 at 11:25 am #

This is Anna – I love their boxes, but I sort of feel like this is shady. I didn’t check the cancellation policy before subscribing either. I naively thought it would be easy peasy, click a button and boom, you’re unsubscribed.

3. laura rendler July 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

How sad, a blogger bashing a company because you didn’t read the fine print wanted something free and are now pissed they you may have to pay for it! smh

• yourfairygodmother July 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

I am not bashing the company for not getting something for free. I even specifically state that it was “my bad” I am stating that it is needlessly hard to cancel your account with them. That is all. Pure and simple.

• yourfairygodmother July 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

That’s not why Kassi is upset. It’s the process of cancellation which doesn’t allow you to cancel online. You have to call and leave a message and wait until someone calls you back or you get an email confirming your cancellation.

There should be a better way to handle this than a phone and vm combo. Just saying.

I’m actually keeping my subscription.

Thanks for reading though :)

4. Lexi July 16, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

I was a little irritated when I realized signing up for the free box also got you the subscription, but I figured it was fair and there had to be some sort of catch.

This is just for canceling all together right? I’m assuming it isn’t this complicated to opt out for the month.

• yourfairygodmother July 16, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

You can skip a month by a certain date, I think it’s buy the 24th or the 27th. I haven’t skipped a month yet.

• Samantha July 16, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Its between the 20th and 24th Anne.

• ashley February 17, 2014 at 8:50 am #

With them, if you subscribe anytime after 12/13/2013, you are grandfathered in with the ability to skip every month so I’m told. However, if you join after that, you can only skip twice a YEAR. that’s ridiculous and they are therefore making you give them 180-160 dollars a year. Not fair.

• yourfairygodmother February 17, 2014 at 11:25 am #

I heard about that new change in clause. Not cool!

5. Gabranth July 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Julep has been having a lot of “growing pains” lately, including numerous customer service issues and inferior products being sent out. I cynically wonder if their by phone only cancellation policy is primarily to retain customers that would otherwise be fed up enough to click a button and be done. While I haven’t had any problems (beyond disappointment in box value), my friend had her warehouse sale order lost and had to call several times to get it straightened out. By that point, half of what she bought was out of stock. Then the rest of her order was not put through either, and she had to call back over several days again to get that resolved. Again, some items were out of stock. Julep replaced these with polishes, but she had bought and wanted beauty products, so it’s not really an even trade, and doesn’t make up for her hassle. She’s furious, but doesn’t want to go through the process of calling to cancel right now, so she’s just opting out until she has more time to sit on the phone.

A strange thing that bothers me about Julep — you can’t delete your credit information without calling them and asking them to do so.

Full disclaimer, though — I’m still a maven and don’t currently plan to cancel. I want to see what people say about Bondi before I jump ship. The biggest reason I would switch is value: Julep costs the most for the least product of the three nail polish subscriptions I know of. I really like their colors, but I just don’t think the value is there.

• yourfairygodmother July 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Good to know! Only one of us is cancelling, I’m still a maven. I really like the polish and the beauty products.

I’m sorry about your friend’s order. It’s so frustrating when warehouse fulfillment is not great and such mistakes happen.

~A

6. Daiz July 16, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

I understand your frustration about having a subscription when all you wanted was the free box, but the nice thing about Julep is that you can skip months. If you’re not up for spending $20.00 on nail polish one month, you can always wait a few months until there’s a box you do want (and saves you the hassle of having to resubscribe every time you want something from Julep). You can also gift their boxes, which seems like a great way to send your mom/sister/friend/whomever a little treat for their birthday or something. I’ve had my own issues with various aspects of Julep’s service, so I can appreciate where you’re coming from…however, at the end of the day you only had to pay ~$4 in shipping for some great items and a discount on all their other products. Not the worst deal I’ve ever heard of ;)

p.s. It’s hard to fault a business for being savvy enough not to give something away for free only to have a subscriber immediately unsubscribe with the click of a button (as soon as they’ve gotten their freebies). At least with the phone cancellation, it gives them a fighting chance at having a customer explore what their company is about before they bolt.

7. Daiz July 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

p.s. How have I only just now discovered your blog?! LOVE <3

8. krankenheim July 16, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Julep “Fangirls” need to STUFF It. They have growing pains my ass. Every since they were on the Today show they’ve been horrible. Oh wait, that was back in FEBRUARY. It doesn’t take FIVE freaking months to realize that your customers are complaining and that you could do a BETTER job servicing them by hiring more people. Get over it, Julep Fangirls. The quality of the product just is NOT that good, not good enough to even remotely warrant customer retention by forcing subscribers to cancel via phone. Yeah, that’s what it is … it is NOT security it is customer retention. Get your heads out of Julep’s hind-end and leave this honest blogger alone. You like the product, fine, but a lot of people don’t.

It is beyond shady to force customers into leaving their personal information on some random voicemail box that winds up full half of the time. No. Just no. Customers need the ability to cancel online. If Julep doesn’t like that because of the first box free then they need to stop offering the free box.

Oh guess what … Bondi New York just started their own monthly and those are FULL size bottles! :) Julep’s day has come and gone. They’ve pissed off the bloggers, pissed off their customer base, and they’re doing nothing to make up for it. They failed. It’s as simple as that!

• yourfairygodmother July 17, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Knowing that they were on the Today Show and have extreme fans totally explains why people jumped all over me on their Facebook page when I posted.

Normally when I post on a fan page no one sees it but the company itself. Nor do I ever look at what others have written. Very strange.

9. Emily July 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

So sorry that the Julep fan girls jumped all over you. It is ridiculous. Not matter how valid or serious a complaint is regarding Julep customer service they still believe has the best customer service ever lol. And I’ve noticed some serious customer service issues simply by reading their fan page. Anyways I agree with you. Julep should allow an online cancellation option as well as allowing their mavens the ability to remove billing info online rather than forcing them to call customer service. SquareHue does this so why can’t Julep. I cancelled my account two weeks ago and I had to call 9x in a row before I reached a person. After that it took them nearly 48 more hours to cancel my acct. BTW make you sure you keep your cancellation email and make sure they remove your credit card info because I’ve heard horror stories of maven subs still being sent despite cancellation. If you can’t prove you cancelled, as far they are concerned, you are still subscribed.

• yourfairygodmother July 18, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Good to know! Thank you, Emily. Is SquareHue another nail polish box? Did you like it?

10. Alicia July 23, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Sorry to hear that you’ve had such a frustrating experience with Julep. Personally, I’m really digging their nail polishes. The beauty products, on the other hand, are hit or miss. As for the customer service, the email division is fantastic. I always get quick responses. Only time will tell how easy or difficult cancelling by phone will be, as I’m currently a happy Maven of 2 months. When that day does finally arrive and I speak with one of their customer service reps, I’ll be sure to get the rep’s name, employee number and (if possible) a cancellation number too.

That’s my tip of the day based on 8 years of working for a major credit card company. Don’t be afraid to sign up for subscription services (whether it’s boxes, magazines, Netflix, etc.), just make sure to thoroughly read the fine print and cover your butt when calling to cancel. In Canada, especially if your credit card is AmEx, you’ll need the cancellation number and employee name in order for a billing dispute to be opened on a monthly subscription charge.

1. Subscription Boxes + coupons | Your Fairy Godmother - July 17, 2013

[…] our surprise controversy yesterday sharing THIS post on Julep’s Facebook page it got me thinking about what other subscription boxes are out […]

2. Umcheeky and Julep Box Review | Besos♥ - July 23, 2013

[…] Julep – why it’s annoying…. (yourfairygodmothers.wordpress.com) […]

3. Julep – why it continues to be annoying | Your Fairy Godmother - November 13, 2013

[…] Julep: Why it’s Annoying […]