Dupe war #3 – Dior Diorshow Mascara vs Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara

4 Apr

This one was really close.  Really really close actually. But first, let’s review the products.

Original –  Dior Diorshow Mascara for $25

Diors651323-main-Lhero

What it is:
A great prestige brand mascara with a cult following.

What it does:
This mascara delivers perfectly plush, everyday glam lashes with an innovative XXL brush for maximum show-stopping volume. Its creamy, buildable, customizable formula allows you to achieve the same dramatic lash volume that can be seen on the Dior runway for a glamorous, false lash effect. (Sephora)

The Dupe – Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara for $6.49

GrowL

What it is:
Drugstore brand mascara

What it does (our review):

It’s a very similar formula to Dior.  The brush is almost an identical match.  Big and full brush, if you’ve ever seen Diorshow you know to expect.  If you haven’t, expect to be surprised at the size of this super-sized brush.

How is it a dupe? Brush size and formula are a good match.

Hold on, let me do the math for you-

1 tube of the Diorshow would cost you $25, the Revlon version runs between $5 and $7.  Sometimes it can be on sale.

This is close, like we said above.  For a while, the dupe was the winner. Although, it didn’t deliver the same punch as Dior, it was close and good enough. Come on, $5 bucks instead of $25?  We’d be crazy to spend more if we didn’t have to!  However, in the weeks of using the Revlon version became too dry.  So dry, that it clumped and pulled out lashes, ouchie!!!

Of course, Dior is crazy dry too.  That is the trick to this mascara and the insanely false looking lashes it gives you.  We just couldn’t get down with the pulling of our precious lashes. Side note – Why do dudes always have the longest, fullest lashes?!

As always, this is a great resource if you want to check out what you are putting on your skin- http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/)

So go forth lovely ladies, don’t be ugly step sisters!  What’s your fave mascara?  Maybe we’ll reveal ours 🙂  We both are crazy in love with the same one.

14 Responses to “Dupe war #3 – Dior Diorshow Mascara vs Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara”

1. Ash April 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

I love the Revlon mascara but didn’t realize it was a Dior dupe. Great info!

• yourfairygodmother April 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

It’s completely underappreciated! Stick to Revlon and save your $$$!

2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCN1CF6 April 24, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing problems with your blog.

It appears as if some of the written text within your content are running off
    the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this
    is happening to them too? This could be a problem with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously. Appreciate it

3. 金頻道第四台 April 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Hello, 您的東西真有幫助, 我 挺喜歡 這篇 分享. 感謝分享!

4. carinae l'etoile May 3, 2013 at 6:21 am #

I never realized they were, or could be, dupes! I am a huge Dior fan…but the prices are outrageous and I thought I’d give Revlon a shot. I really hated that my Dior mascara would dry out so quickly. However, I found that I don’t have that problem with Revlon Grow Luscious.

I’ve been using Revlon for a month now and I swear, I have a few more lashes than I used to…it’s a good thing!

Your side note is an infamous rant of mine amongst my friends — “WHY DO MEN GET THE BETTER LASHES?!”

• yourfairygodmother May 3, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Hey! So glad the Revlon is working so well for you! Also, welcome to the world of Dupes! We are trying to post at least once a month about various “dupes” so please check back. ❤ Thanks for writing us.

• yourfairygodmother May 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

I’m so happy you love the Revlon version! I may need to give it a try again now that winter is done and skin isn’t a dried out freaked out mess. When I used Revlon GL it made my lashes dry 😦 But I loved the effect!

5. Dianna October 4, 2013 at 1:46 am #

I haven’t tried Dior Show or Revlon Grow Luscious, but my go-to mascara is Benefit They’re Real….my very favorite.

6. SAM from KC December 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

OK I’ve been in LOVE with Maybelline’s Colossal Volume Mascara in WATERPROOF! That’s the key the waterproof keeps your lashes from “drooping” especially in summer’s heat and humidity. I love it so much I wear it year round now. The issue is getting it off, well here’s another tip: Baby Shampoo and don’t bother getting the J&J for 4x the amount go get the store brand (and a larger bottle) of baby shampoo (no more tears version) and apply with a wet washcloth and gently rub eyes (circular motion) and it will remove all the mascara ANY waterproof mascara.

I love the large fluffy brush it does come on strong in a more gel form and will “dry” a little to a regular mascara consistency but not so dry it pulls the lashes. It’s buildable although can become a bit clumpy if you add too much, it not only volumizes but lengthens also. Gives a great “fake” lash appearance without the heaviness, truly brings out each and every lash. Runs about $6 at the drug store/discount store.

• yourfairygodmother December 12, 2013 at 8:46 am #

I’ve never thought about baby shampoo for removing waterproof stubborn mascaras. I guess it does promise no tears, so it shouln’t irritate the eyes too much.

Thanks so much for your comment!!!

1. Update – Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara | Your Fairy Godmother - May 31, 2013

[…] This is our first update! This is my second go at this mascara since my last post Dupe War #3 https://yourfairygodmothers.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/dupe-war-3-dior-diorshow-mascara-vs-revlon-grow-… […]