DIY hair mask disaster!

12 Nov

The lovely Maria from  Beauty on a Budget wrote a wonderful post about DIY hair masks last week.  Check out her fun blog 🙂

I decided to do one, and I failed…I FAILED HARD.

It all started out great.  Olive oil, honey, banana…what can go wrong?

What I used:

1 banana (peeled)

2 tablespoons of honey

1 cap full of olive oil

BeFunky_20131108_094805.jpg

I mixed it all in a cup.  I made sure the banana was really well mashed.  It turned out to be almost liquid.

banana.jpg

I put it on my hair and  covered with a plastic bag because this was pretty watery and drippy.

I left it on my hair for 20 minutes and then I rinsed and washed my hair.  I conditioned as normal.

And then my hair was left with this ALL OVER MY HEAD

2BeFunky_20131108_105719.jpg

My hair was so dry and tangled, I couldn’t even get a comb through it.  I had to condition it two more times after this, just to get it manageable.  It still hasn’t fully recovered.

It’s like the banana solidified on my head and then turn to rubber.  Or a balloon exploded on my head.

Pro-tip, if you are allergic to latex, you may want to watch your banana consumption.

I have no idea what I did wrong. All I know that is my hair is not moisturized.

8 Responses to “DIY hair mask disaster!”

1. dragonfly November 12, 2013 at 11:08 am #

oh no! well I won’t be trying this diy thing. sounds bad.

2. muireann04 November 12, 2013 at 11:18 am #

I tried not to laugh really but the image of someone with that kind of disaster in their head was too funny. I really hope you get it sorted out soon.

3. CJ November 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

I tried to add banana to my pre-poo and it was a hot mess. Never, ever, ever again. The best pre-poo for me is EVOO, honey, a conditioner I like, and egg ( I add the egg in every other week or so). I tried avocado and that was a mess too. Maybe I need a better blender. 🙂

4. Maria Vole November 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Oh no, haha! I’m sorry to hear this turned out so bad for you! I can see your mistake in terms of the mixture you’ve used – the mask should be a completely smooth paste with no bits of banana in it and I can see you’ve got quite a lot of banana bits in yours. I made the exact same mistake the first couple of times I used banana in my hair and I know how annoying it is – finding bits of banana in your hair for all the rest of the day is not fun! I don’t know why your hair wasn’t moisturised at all though – maybe banana just isn’t right for your hair type? Keep exploring with DIY hair masks, better luck next time! 🙂

• yourfairygodmother November 12, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

🙂 Could be! The banana pieces wouldn’t even be such a big deal if it didn’t leave my hair SO dry. It felt like straw.

On to the next fruit!

5. Rika November 24, 2013 at 11:38 am #

thank you for the info! you saved us hair-obsessed people from a disaster. way to take one for the team, you woman warrior! 🙂