In March for my birthday I did something crazy – I bought a laser hair removal package off Groupon. Seems risky right?
I seriously knew almost nothing about it but was feeling sassy. Turns out, it was the best gift I could have given myself! Honestly, before going to my appointment I kind of thought it was just some expensive gimmick that med spas use to get your money because I never knew anyone that had gotten it done before.
For those of you who don’t know, Laser Hair remover is a seemingly magical beam of highly concentrated light that is aimed at follicles. Pigment in the follicles absorb the light. That destroys the hair. After about 5-7 days your hair is ejected from the skin. I have never been so excited about my hair falling out in my life. You can still shave it if need be and the hair grows much slower, so it’s a breeze. There is almost no after care, you can put aloe on it if you want. I got my armpits lasered about 30 mins ago and it feels as if nothing happened.
Here is some laser hair FAQ:
- Does it hurt? Not really. And definitely not as much as waxing. It feels like someone with a warm hand lightly pinching you. I do have a pretty high pain tolerance but I don’t even need to take pain relievers before or after and I have done arm pit and bikini line. Some places even provide ice packs and rollers before you get lasered, so you feel nothing.
- Does it work? YEP! It’s magic. My pits have been hairless for months now. They say it works best on people with pale skin and darker hair.
- How long does each appointment take? Oh, about 5 minutes for both arm pits. So quick!
- Will my hair be gone forever? They say after about 6-9 zap sessions you will be hair free, only needing touch up appointments should patches of hair start growing back. (i’ve only gone like 4 times, so I don’t know if this stands true yet)
- Do I have to grow my hair out to werewolf lengths like I do for waxing? awww hell naw! You actually need to shave right before your appointment so that the light can get into the follicles better. You actually can’t have waxed or tweezed for around six weeks prior to laser, as the follicle needs to be in tact.
- What does it cost? It can be expensive. It depends on the area of the body and where you live. Like I said, I bought a Groupon, I think I paid $129 for 6 laser treatments. I did a lot of Yelp review research when selecting which Groupon to buy as these spas are very abundant in Chicago. (I highly recommend Chicago Skin Solutions.)